Sunday, April 17, 2011

Ongoing...

Hujambo! (Hello) Habari gani? (How's it going?)
 Jina langu ni Veronica. Nina toca merikani. (My name is Veronica. I'm from the U.S.)

Maybe I'll see this view from my teaching village in a month...Mt. Kilimanjaro!

Attending prefield meetings have been very informational and insightful. Every week, as SIC volunteers, we are responsible for core readings for different topics related to Africa, HIV/AIDS or Tanzanian lifestyle and culture and then we discuss important points at the meeting. This week, we focused on the history of aid in Africa, sustainability of aid and the ethics of volunteering abroad. We also continued our studies of key Swahili verbs and phrases. I just began listening to a couple Swahili audio cds to continue learning.

I can't believe I leave in ONE MONTH! Which means there is much to do in very little time! Packing, wrapping things up at my lab, and preparing my medical school application, in addition to more fundraising!!! I'm at $1200 now. What else should I do?? Will you, friends, who haven't donated, consider a contribution? :) 

You'll get a giant hug from me! And immense gratitude.

2 comments: