Thursday, March 10, 2011

SIChange


I am really excited I was accepted into SIC's program in Tanzania. SIC aims to increase HIV awareness and prevention and does so through the work of student/post-grad volunteers education rural villages. Teams of 2 volunteers will live in each village for 8-12 weeks and prepare lesson plans and HIV testing. This is the nonprofit site: sichange.org

There are 1.4 million people living with HIV/AIDS in Tanzania. 70.5 percent are 25 to 49 years old, and 15 percent are 15-24 years. With the high poverty level in Tanzania, coupled with a challenging infrastructure, the quality of care and awareness of HIV/AIDS needs to be improved.

I plan to be part of the solution. With my time in this program, I will be in prime position to help the people learn more about the virus and associated diseases. I believe education will be the key factor in this struggle with HIV/AIDS. I will be in Tanzania from May 18 until July 30.

I will be leaving my position as a research technician at the University of Washington to venture on this project. The costs and fees amount to a bit over $5000 which covers room/board and education/testing materials. If you find that you would like to support or sponsor me on this trip, I would like to express my heartfelt appreciation for your generosity. Whether it be $5 or $500, no gift would be too small.

A note on this blog. If you do not mind receiving a receipt for a tax deduction (donations smaller than $500) than you can click DONATE HERE. If you want a receipt for a deduction, you can donate at my fundraising site for SIChange. http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/veronica-nguyen/students-for-international-change

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me at veronica144@gmail.com

Many thanks for your support -- and please don't forget to forward this to anyone who you think might want to donate too! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment